Is excessive humidity harmful to your health?



by   |  VIEW 72

Is excessive humidity harmful to your health?

High humidity in the house can have negative consequences for your health. Although we do not pay attention to it, excessive humidity can contribute to respiratory problems, especially in children and the elderly, who do not have a strong immune system.

Condensation, mold, and dust mites are the main consequences of humid air in the home and these factors are responsible for the appearance or worsening of many health problems.

What diseases you are exposed to if the humidity in your home is high?

People who suffer from chronic respiratory infections often visit the doctor to get adjuvant therapy, but they do not know that the humidity of the air at home plays an important role in improving or worsening the symptoms.

If you do not tell your doctor about this, you could be treated inappropriately, considering that the main cause of the problems, i.e. high humidity, has not been solved. Research shows that high humidity is a favorable environment for the development of mites, and fungi and is the main risk factor for the development of allergies.

Your rest time can also suffer due to increased humidity in the home. Sweat helps cool the body's temperature by evaporating on the surface of the skin, but when the air is already overloaded with water vapor, this natural process is prevented.

So, instead of cooling you down, the sweat stays on the surface of your body and you will feel warmer, which will cause discomfort at night and disturb your sleep. At this point, the body is forced to use other "cooling" mechanisms, so you will breathe faster, and the heart will pump more blood to the limbs and less to the vital organs, including the brain.

As a result, you will feel disoriented, and weak, and get muscle cramps, especially in your legs. Overheating the body and insufficient fluid intake can lead to dehydration, which manifests itself through dizziness and vomiting, dry mouth, dark urine, and muscle weakness.

For this reason, it is advisable to keep a bottle of water near your bed during the night, from which you can drink whenever you need. Also, excess moisture favors the formation of mold, and long-term exposure can worsen unpleasant symptoms, and also facilitate the occurrence of other problems, such as gastrointestinal disorders, skin irritations, weakening of the immune system, bleeding, and diseases of the genitourinary system.

Indoor mold, which is formed due to condensation caused by high humidity in the house, is considered to be the cause of the development of asthma, especially in sensitive people, but those without an allergic predisposition are also exposed to this risk.

In conditions of high humidity, these microorganisms develop uncontrollably and enter the respiratory tract, which leads to allergic reactions, such as sneezing, nasal discharge, persistent cough, throat irritation, wheezing, skin irritation, and tears or red eyes. We can keep such health problems at bay if we maintain humidity at normal values, between 30-60%.