Kevin Gates better known as Marcellus Kevin Gates was born on February 5, 1986 in New Orleans, Louisiana. He and his family moved to Baton Rouge soon after his birth. Gates had an often tumultuous upbringing, he was first arrested in 1999 at the age of 13 for car theft as a passenger.
At the age of 17, he briefly attended Baton Rouge Community College. Gates has Puerto Rican origins on his mother's side and African American of Moroccan descent on his father's side. Gates married his longtime girlfriend, Dreka Haynes, in October 2015.
The couple have two children, Islah and Khaza. Gates hinted that he had had children with other women in a 2013 interview with Complex. Gates is a practicing Muslim along with his wife, and in September 2016 he went to Mecca for Hajj.
Gates' first arrest came when he was 13 for being a passenger in a stolen vehicle. Gates was briefly jailed. In 2003, Gates was involved in an altercation outside a movie theater and stabbed his opponent multiple times in the chest and arms.
Gates was charged with assault for kicking a fan in the summer of 2015 while performing on stage at an event in Lakeland, Florida. He used Florida defense law. On October 26, 2016, he was sentenced to 180 days in prison. In 2017, Gates was sentenced to a 30-month prison sentence in East Moline, in a corrective facility resulting from a 2013 incident, but was paroled on January 10, 2018.
Here are some of the Kevin Gates quotes:
- When you stand for something, you've got to stand for it all the way, not halfway.
- I suffer from deep depression, so my only release is music.
- True wealth is not of the pocket, but of the heart and of the mind.
- Coming up in the streets, I had to learn how to read people early on.
I'm a very analytical person. I observe a lot of the things that people don't notice.
- I'm an introvert somewhat. There could be a room full of people, I'll go stand in the corner.
- I adapt and I adjust to whatever environment I'm in.
Kevin Gates Net Worth
He has earned his money with his music career as a rapper and singer and also as an entrepreneur.
As of 2022, Kevin has a net worth of $1.5million