The Iranian police fired at people gathered at Mahsa Amini's grave

by   |  VIEW 299

The Iranian police fired at people gathered at Mahsa Amini's grave
The Iranian police fired at people gathered at Mahsa Amini's grave (Provided by Celeb Tattler)

Iranian security forces opened fire on mourners who had gathered in Mahse Amina's Kurdish hometown to mark 40 days since her death in police custody, a witness said, while state media reported that people at the cemetery clashed with police.

due to riots. Iran's ISNA news agency said about 10,000 people had gathered at the cemetery, adding that the internet was cut off after clashes between security forces and people there. Videos on social media showed thousands of Iranians marching toward the cemetery where Amini was buried despite the heavy presence of riot police.

Activists have called for nationwide protests to mark 40 days since her death after she was detained for "inappropriate clothing". Amini, a 22-year-old Iranian woman of Kurdish origin, died on September 16, three days after she was arrested by morality police while visiting Tehran with her younger brother.

Her death sparked the biggest wave of protests in the Islamic Republic in nearly three years. Young women and schoolgirls led the demonstration, removing and burning their headscarves as they confronted security forces in the street.

Iranian authorities did not comment on the incident

The witness said that "men and women gathered around Amina's grave at the Aichi cemetery in Saqez, shouting 'Woman, life, freedom'". Another witness in Saqez said that the cemetery was filled with members of the Basij volunteer militia and the police.

One young protester inside Iran told BBC World News: "You cannot imagine how tough it is to go to streets knowing that they are ready to shoot. But we are not afraid. "It's not about me. It's about the next generation. We want to have a normal life." She added: "I don't know when our protests will come to an end, but today Iranian society is more awake than ever and we are ready for big changes." Human rights organizations claim that, fearing that the 40-day anniversary of Amina's death would incite further violent protests, security police have warned the family of the tragically deceased girl not to hold a memorial procession and that their son could be arrested.

However, Kurdistan Governor Zarei Kusha denied any state restrictions on holding the commemoration, adding that it was "her family's decision not to hold the rally," state media reported.