Chiefs' Rashee Rice Surrenders After Lamborghini Crash

Two athletes' street race leads to serious legal fallout.

by Nouman Rasool
Chiefs' Rashee Rice Surrenders After Lamborghini Crash
© Jamie Squire/Getty Images

Wide receiver Rashee Rice has surrendered to Dallas police after a major auto accident on March 30. The incident happened on Central Expressway and involved several vehicles, bringing legal action against the athlete. The Glenn Heights Police Department in Texas said Rice surrendered to authorities on April 11, one day after the Dallas Police Department issued a warrant for his arrest.

His current custody status was not immediately clear, and records for him are not publicly available. Central to the charges against Rice were the allegations of reckless driving, entailing one count of aggravated assault, one count of collision involving serious bodily injury, and six counts of collision involving injury.

Those charges stem from accusations that Rice, driving at a high speed in his Lamborghini, precipitated a collision with a chain reaction that ensnared four other vehicles.

SMU Star's Legal Trouble

Complicating the case further, there is also the involvement of Theodore "Teddy" Knox, an SMU (Southern Methodist University) football player.

Knox, who was allegedly behind the wheel of a Corvette also implicated in the accident, faces similar charges to Rice.The two athletes are believed to have been racing their luxury vehicles at the time of the incident that led to the substantial multi-car crash.

Authorities say the car was gone by the time the wreck was discovered, though reports suggest both Rice and Knox left the scene after the wreck was reported by witnesses and documented by them. No threatening injuries to life were reported at the scene; however, two persons were treated on site by medical personnel, and two others were taken to the hospital for further medical evaluation.

The aftermath of the crash gathered even more attention when, to demonstrate the gravity of the accident and the immediacy of it, a video from a purported dashcam was posted on social media platforms. After being roundly criticized, Rice took to Instagram on April 3 to post an apology, acknowledging his part in the event and expressing sorrow for the hurt he has caused.

"I take full responsibility of what part I played in this matter," Rice wrote in his Instagram Story, "and will continue to cooperate with the necessary authorities."